Do people read me?

Monday, March 5, 2012

Bust up! and away with those films!

Image: Film still from Cathy Cook's film "Bust Up"


Greetings readers!
Tonight I'm going to update you on the recent film screening "Bust Up" with guest filmmaker Cathy Cook. Tonight, the Digital Processes & Intro to Electronic Music class had their collaboration film screening in partnership with Cathy Cook's film screening of "Bust Up". Overall, I found the experience working on the collaboration project insightful and fun. To expand more on "insightful", I found working with two composers who were working on their soundscapes separate from each other a great experience.  Seeing how they differently interpreted my film and then contributed their ideas to the piece was totally worth the few extra meetings I had with them. I also feel that both composers took different parts of my explanation of the piece to heart, and branched off from there. I found this particularly interesting because my film is based on a individual's movement and how that in and of itself shares an experience with the viewer. In a sense, my first viewers were these composers and I found their work a response to the film verses some films that had their composers be more narrative and storytelling like. Lastly, I just had a really great time working on the film with Adam and Alex and I really liked seeing all the films from the class together as a whole show. Thanks to everyone who came and thank you, Cathy Cook, for sharing your stories of filming "Bust Up" and being apart of this process.
peace,
Ali  

3 comments:

  1. I also felt that the soundscape Zach and Peter created was a sort of response to my film. It is refreshing to see the different ways people take your work and are inspired by it

    ReplyDelete
  2. The improvisational performance nature of your film made the compositional process completely different than of the other videos. I was wondering if your performance collaborator has seen the final product and how she thinks the highly constructed scores work with her 'in-the-moment' movements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking about how the composers experienced the improvised experience on the screen and how the compositions were a response to that glowing trace of digitized movement...

    ReplyDelete