Do people read me?

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

More about the video collaboration!

So guys, my film is part of my honors studio art project that is both black and white photography and video titled I am who am. For this film, I had my subject-- who has a background is in contemporary dance- move and interact with my glowing orb of light that is a hard plastic ball 2ft by 2ft for three minutes. After the filming I had her write a brief reflection on the experience as well. This reflection might go into the film, but will definitely go in to the book I'm creating of the still images and production stills of the film. I showed my rough cut to my two composers, Adam and Alex, and they are looking into ideas for me with the scores. Alex and I have already been talking about playing around with some cello and voice sounds. We haven't officially decided how much involvement I'll have in their process, but it sounds like they're pretty open to anything. I'm excited to hear what they come up with! I'll be posting a rough clip of the film soon! 

4 comments:

  1. I like the fact that your project has the multiple parts of stills, video and performer reflection. Additionally, with the actual performance being a piece itself, you are giving viewers a lot to think about when it comes to understanding someone's essence. I'm interested to see how the score fits with your video and how it changes the aesthetic of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great being able to see your rough footage. I think it flows so well with the photographs you have been working on. I agreed with what J&J were saying in class about possibly trying to use some smooth cuts here and there to really get the most out of your video footage. If you are hesitant to do that, try making one cut and one solid 3 minutes. While that would be more work, it may be the best option for you to really decide which conveys the dancer's essence better. I am looking forward to the sound element.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slowing down the footage and editing out the moments that break the audience out of the trance seem like good moves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ali-
    So far - I like your process. Combining stills, movement and reflection. I particularly like the idea of having your performer/dancer write about her experience of collaborating with the globe of light - A reverse approach by having the text come out of the experience.

    From what you described, I can imagine this video as being a spiritual and encompassing multi-media form of expression. But - since I am not familiar with your photographs - I DON'T HAVE A VISUAL SENSE of what I might expect to see. More visual description would be helpful. Learning how to describe your visual work is an important skill to work towards for future development as an artist.
    I can't wait to see your progress - you sound very enthusiastic and passionate about the project.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete